The story of the National Museum started in 1919 with a small group of ancient artifacts, which had been collected by Raymond Weill, a French officer stationed in Lebanon. These objects were displayed in one of the rooms of the German Deaconesses building in Georges Picot Street in Beirut. This exhibition hall served as a temporary museum.
Today the National Museum building consists of three floors: a basement, a ground floor and an upper gallery. A stair case and two elevators lead to the upper floor.